News, Views & Reviews of the Hoosier Wine Scene

Welcome to Indiana Winery . . . your road map to the Hoosier wine landscape featuring in-state wineries, information, interviews and more. Written by the authors of Indiana Wineries (forthcoming by Blue River Press, May 2015), we hope you will visit here often for travel and tasting tips, guides and detailed information about Indiana's vibrant and growing wine scene.

Thursday, June 2, 2016

A Taste of Spain

(Photo:  Window fare from a Spanish wine shop during the afternoon siesta.)









Recently I returned from Spain after walking 100 km of the Camino de Santiago, the traditional path which pilgrims have walked for nearly 1000 years.  One of my goals in walking the Camino was to become better acquainted with Spanish wines.  I'm not sure I accomplished that goal, but I did enjoy some tastings and especially appreciated the wines--both reds and whites--that were typically served with the "Pilgrim's Fare" meals.

All told, I typically enjoyed white wine in the evenings with a meal consisting of white fish or other seafood (octopus on one occasion).  These whites tended to be either semi-sweet or, at times, a bit dryer, much akin to a dry German Riesling.  A few of the whites that I tasted were consistently floral, with overtones of grass and field, sometimes even a bit fruity at the finish.  Other whites tended toward the tart category.

Although these Spanish whites were nice, I came away appreciating the much better Indiana traminette and the variations that our wineries make here at home.  Pinot Grigio and even White Zinfandel are also produced with better acumen that those I enjoyed in Spain.

Bottom line, don't overlook the Hoosier whites that go so well with fish and desserts.  These wines can stack up well across the globe and they can be found just a few miles down the road.

I know I have gained a new appreciation for our Hoosier varietals and I hope you will join me in exploring some of the whites an Indiana winery near you.

~Todd Outcalt

No comments:

Post a Comment